Picinisco
Picinisco
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Marcantonio family
Aller ŕ la page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Suivante

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Picinisco - Forum Index du Forum -> Genealogy / Genealogie / Genealogia
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
sarabruce

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 11, 2011 11:53 pm    Sujet du message: Marcantonio family Répondre en citant

Hi I am new to this forum and hoping someone can help me. I am trying to help a friend trace his grandfather whose name was Louis Marcantoni (or Marcantonio?). Louis was born in Italy around 1899 and died in Dublin on 7 March 1935 aged 36. He may have gone to Scotland before arriving in Ireland because he had a brother (Anthony?) who was killed in WW1 in the Blackwatch regiment. Louis was married to an Irish girl Mary Slater or Slatter in October 1918. I believe he was a stonemason.

I don't know whether he came from Picinisco but some of my research indicates that all Marcantoni/Marcantonio families come from Picinisco.

Thank you so much for any help
Sara
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 12, 2011 12:01 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Sara

there is a death certificate for an Anthony Marcantonio, died aged 21 in 1918, death registered in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland. The ref numbers are 573/01/0173. That should give the names of the parents if that would be of any help.
sarabruce

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 12, 2011 12:48 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Marisa
Thanks so much for your response. I have now looked at the death certificate and it seems that Anthony Marcantoni was born in Glasgow in 1897, so I presume his brother Louis was also born in Scotland not Italy. Their father was also Louis Marcantonio, confectioner -perhaps he came from Picinisco? His wife was Rosie Bassie.

Sara
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 12, 2011 6:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Ahhhhh - now this solves a bit of a mystery for me. I have a 'stray' family of Marcantonios living in Glasgow in the 1880s and 90s that I can't hook into my branch. I have a death certificate for a Saverio Marcantonio who died aged 2 in Blackfriars parish, Glasgow, on 7 June 1887. His parents were Luigi Marcantonio (Organ Grinder) and Rosina Bassi. That would be the same family then. It means they were in Scotland from quite early on in the timeline of mass emigration from that part of Italy. From what I can make out they were living at 17 Trongate. I can't find them on either the 1891 or 1901 censuses - so they may have been going back and forth to Italy, or they may be enumerated under some wierd and wonderful spelling.

Anthony's WWI death is listed on Ancestry. It also says that his place of birth was Glasgow. I can't see a birth cert though.

On the upside Smile Saverio's birth certificate is at Scotland's People, year 1886, ref no 644/05 0442. If you pull that one out it should tell you when and where his parents married. If they married in Picinisco it should say so. Definitely worth a look!

HTH

Marisa xx
sarabruce

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 12, 2011 10:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Marisa
I pulled that birth certificate and Luigi and Rosina were married on 5 November 1878 in Belfast, Ireland. Not sure where this takes me now or whether there is a Picinisco link at all. I suppose there must be somewhere but maybe a long way back! I'll keep digging and let you know if I find anything else
Sara
graeme2905

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 03, 2011 5:33 pm    Sujet du message: Marcantonio Répondre en citant

This thread is very interesting. I'm researching Marcantonio's in Belfast. In my tree Giovanni Morelli married Maria Marcantonio in Belfast in 1889. Maria's father was Raffaele.
Their marriage was witness by a Giovanni Marcantonio who I hope was her brother.
Now, here's the interesting bit. As well as Giovanni there are also various birth records for children of a Peter Marcantonio and, wait for it.., Luigi Marcantonio, all of whom lived in Belfast and all of whom had their children baptised in St MacNissi's church in Larne. Luigi's wife was one Rosiana Bassigalopa (Rosina Bassi per chance!?). I'm certain there is a connection here..somewhere! Any help appreciated.
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Graeme

Wow - that could be the missing bit in the jigsaw. I love this forum Very Happy I must go and look at my notes and see if there is anything else I can find. We might need Michel's help here to make the final connection.

One thing immediately jumps out. Morelli was a name that was common in Casalattico, very close to Picinisco. There was a big community in Befast from Casalattico including many Fortes. I have a fair bit of info on them if you ever come across that name on your tree.

Marisa
graeme2905

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 03, 2011 7:52 pm    Sujet du message: Marcantonio Répondre en citant

Hi Marisa,
Great to get a quick response. Further to your email Giovanni Morelli and Maria Marcantonio had a daughter Angelina Morelli. She married Paolo Luparia (Leopari/Luparial - later Lupari) (the Lupari's are the starting point for my research). Before moving in with her parents, they lived at 153 Crumlin Road, Belfast. It was a 'Refreshment Saloon' around that time owned by D&A Forte! It would be great of you had any info to tie up the strands.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Graeme
sarabruce

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 03, 2011 11:10 pm    Sujet du message: Marcantonio Répondre en citant

Hi Graeme

That's really interesting, especially the alternative name for Rosina Bassi -apparently that is her! Do you have any other information on the children baptised at St MacNissi's Church? Do you know how Luigi relates to Giovanni or Peter?
My friend will be visiting Belfast later this year and will try to check out the parish records at the church, but any other pointers would be really great.
Let me know if there is anything he could find out for you also.

Thanks so much
Sara
graeme2905

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 03, 2011 11:36 pm    Sujet du message: Marcantonio Répondre en citant

Hi Marissa,
Scrub the St MacNissi's church. Depending what website I use I get a different church - St Patrick's Belfast is much more likely as it is where they were living.

Giovanni Marcantonio married Elizabeth Shevlin - I've ordered the marriage certificate to hopefully confirm he is Maria's brother. They had Roberto Vecengo Marcantonio, baptised 2/10/1895 and John Marcantonio baptised 24/7/1899.

Luigi Marcantonio and Rosiana Bassigalopa had Maria, Baptised 8/9/1889.

Peter (Pietro?) Marcantonio and Esther Sykes had Rosalea, Baptised 21/4/1893 and Raphael, born 31/12/1894.

I'm assuming all 3 are brothers and am working to prove this! Any informaton you can send my way would be greatly appreciated on any of Lupari, Morelli or Marcantonio, particularly anything you know of the Scottish links.

Is your tree on genesreunited?

Regards
Graeme
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Ven Mar 04, 2011 9:58 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Sara and Graeme

It would be fascinating to know if Maria, Luigi, Giovanni, and Peter were all siblings. I don't know a lot about Irish certificates, but I'm wondering if Luigi and Rosina's marriage certificate from 5 November 1878 in Belfast would give the parents names? I have one Raffaele Marcantonio on my tree who was born in 1827 who would be a possible suspect for thier father - but I know nothing else about him. It could be another Raffaele entirely Laughing

'My' Marcantonios in Scotland start with my rather colourful great great grandfather Lorenzo Marcantonio. His parents were Fulgenzio Marcantonio and Maria Luigia Capocci. He married Maria Domenica Palombo and they had nine surviving children of whom the eldest - Serafina - was my great grandmother.

We have our Marcantonios back to the mid-1500s thanks to Michel Vacca. Its a huge family with lots of branches. With a little bit of luck we should be able to hook your branch into it.

I think my Uncle Laurence (Marcantonio - on this forum too Laughing ) has the tree on genes reunited. We are also to be found lurking on Facebook!

Lupari isn't a name I have come across very often, but I have access to lots of BMDs for Morellis in Casalattico if that is where they are from. I would probably need a generation further back though before I could start to track BMDs.

Running out to coffee with the 'girls' now (not one of us is under 40 Razz ) I'll get back to you later

Marisa xx
graeme2905

MessagePosté le: Ven Mar 04, 2011 11:57 am    Sujet du message: Marcantonio Répondre en citant

Marisa/Sarah
Here's the Craic, (Never say I never gave you anything).

Lets start with Luigi and Rosiana. She is listed as Rose Anne Baicjalupo on the marriage record. Luigi's father is Francis and his mother is Maria. Rose anne's father is Louis and her mother is Sarah Anne. The footnote states in the record hat his parents are from Italy and hers from Scotland (Edinburgh). So looks like Luigi isn't a brother of my Maria.

Pietro is Maria's brother however. He married Esther Sykes. His father is Raphael (a farmer) and her father is James (a butcher).

Maria's marriage entry also lists her mother's name as Annarosa (wife of Raphael/Raffaele) and Giovanni Morelli's father and mother as Angelo and Antonio (should that be Antonia?) Morelli.

Keep the info coming!

Graeme
graeme2905

MessagePosté le: Ven Mar 04, 2011 12:01 pm    Sujet du message: Marcantonio Répondre en citant

Forgot to add that Giovanni Marcantonio witnessed the marriages of both Maria and Pietro further pointing to the possibility of him being a brother.
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Ven Mar 04, 2011 2:43 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Back from coffee Cool

Can you confirm if the marriage lines you have for Luigi and Ros/ina give the date as 5 November 1878 in Belfast? If so then we can confirm that they are the same couple as the ones who were in Scotland and were the parents of Antonio and Saverio. We can use that as a starting point to try and make some links Very Happy

Marisa xx
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Ven Mar 04, 2011 2:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

On Giovanni Morelli's marriage certificate does it give any clue as to whether his mother's maiden name was also Morelli (which happened quite a lot!)? Do you know what year Giovanni would have been born roughly?
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Picinisco - Forum Index du Forum -> Genealogy / Genealogie / Genealogia Toutes les heures sont au format GMT
Aller ŕ la page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Suivante
Page 1 sur 7

Sauter vers: