Picinisco
Picinisco
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Philip Coppola lost on Arandora Star
Aller ŕ la page 1, 2  Suivante

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Picinisco - Forum Index du Forum -> Genealogy / Genealogie / Genealogia
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Coppola

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 12, 2009 5:56 am    Sujet du message: Philip Coppola lost on Arandora Star Répondre en citant

I am trying to track down any information I can for Philip Coppola born 7th January 1895, his name is on the Arandora Star Memorial in Picinisco. Philip or Filippo Coppola is my Grand Father. My Father is Philip Gabriel Coppola born 1929 in Edinburgh and married to Norah Brown. We immigrated to Australia in the 1960's. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Coppola
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Stuart Capaldi

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 12, 2009 6:28 pm    Sujet du message: Coppola in Edinburgh Répondre en citant

My grandfather's cousins were Coppola from Edinburgh but I do not know the exact link. Please see my Coppola connection details on my web site www.capaldi-clan.com

I have also been in touch with Adrian Coppola from Edinburgh whose grandfather was on the Arandora Star. His father was Claudio. He was named after his uncle Adriano.

One of my father's cousins was Yolande Coppola who ran the Saughtonhall Cafe, Western Corner, Edinburgh her mother Maria Civita Di Marco married Paulo Coppola from Abroath in circa 1906
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 12, 2009 7:37 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Would you know his parent's names at all?

There is a "Filippo Coppolo" born around 1896, living in Canongate, Edinburgh who was an Italian Subject (so born in Italy), living with his mother Maria, (an ice cream vendor) and various siblings on the 1901 Scotland census. The youngest sibling that I can see, who was two years younger than Filippo (name is probably Mariannina), was born in Scotland. Her birth certificate would give both parents names if you don't know them, and if it looks like the right person.
Coppola

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 15, 2009 12:06 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Thanks very much for your replies, Stuart I checked out your web site, an excellent site and very informative. Marisa unfortunately I do not know any further information at this stage. I will attempt to get a copy of Philip Coppola birth certificate because I cannot see how I can move forward without it.
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 15, 2009 12:42 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Michael

Would your grandmother be called Mabel Cooper by any chance?

Marisa
Coppola

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 15, 2009 1:31 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Marisa, I just checked the records and I notice that a Philip Coppola married Mabel Cooper in 1928. Philip was 33 years of age at the time of the marriage. If you deduct the marriage date (1928) from Philip's date of birth (1895) you get 33 years of age the same age as when married. Could this be a coincidence? I notice Mabel Cooper remarried before passing away in 1958 at the age of 58. I still cannot confirm any names at this stage. I wish the Italian records were as easy to access as the Scottish records.
Stuart Capaldi

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 15, 2009 8:32 pm    Sujet du message: Coppola in Edinburgh Répondre en citant

Michael

Not sure if you have the following information

Maria Coppola b 28 January 1898 Canongate Edinburgh

Father, (looks like) Fabrizio Coppola Ice Cream Vendor

Mother, Maria Antonia Coppola maiden surname Coppola

married 27 May 1886 Picinisco Italy
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 15, 2009 8:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Stuart

I'm looking at the same family but different certificate I think Very Happy I'm seeing the fathers name as Vincenzo rather than Fabrizio. Could it say that perhaps? The mothers name is the same.

Marisa xx
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 15, 2009 8:51 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

The easiest way to be sure if Phillip Gabriel's mother is Mabel is to check his birth cert. But it is in 1929. As it is less than 100 years old we can't see it online. The cert number is 685/05 2036. You would need to order it, Michael. If we have the mother right then we are cooking with gas Very Happy

The only Phillip Coppola to marry in a 30 year timeframe between 1905 and 1935 in the whole of Scotland was the one who married Mabel. As the marriage was the year before Phillip jnr was born - the chances are it is the right family. Its always better to be sure though Wink

Marisa
Stuart Capaldi

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 15, 2009 9:36 pm    Sujet du message: Coppola in Edinburgh Répondre en citant

Michael and Marisa

Marisa

Yes, I could not make out name as the writing is unclear.

Also I have found Maria Antonia Coppola's death record

Died age 74 at 43 Lauriston Place Edinburgh 15 October 1935 widow of Vincenzo but again difficult to read. Widow but I cannot find Vincenzo's death record

Signed by her son Philip Coppola

Her parents names were given as Giuseppe Coppola and Caterina (looks like) Grilla ?
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 15, 2009 9:49 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Stuart

Oooh - you are good at this! The 1901 census entry gives Maria as the head of the household, which make me think she was probably widowed by then. There are a couple of deaths of Vincent Coppolas in England, but none are quite right. He was certainly dead by the time Phillip married in 1928. Its got to be the right family. There are no other Phillip or Filippo Coppolas at all in that period.

Marisa xx
Coppola

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 16, 2009 1:29 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Stuart and Marisa

Thank you so much for the research you have done, I am able to confirm my Grandmothers name was Mabel and my Great Grandfathers name was Fulgenzio. I received an email from Michel Vacca who I hope does not mind if I share some of it:

This is the information I have on your grandfather: Filippo COPPOLA born Picinisco 07 01 1895.
Christened the same day in the Church of s. Lorenzo to Picinisco.
Son of Fulgenzio COPPOLA and Maria Antonia COPPOLA
Parents of Fulgenzio: Michele Angelo COPPOLA and Teresa CAPALDI.
Parents of Maria Antonia : Giuseppe COPPOLA and Caterina GRILLI.
From the sinking of the Arandora Star, a cousin of Filippo is also dead.

Paolo COPPOLA born Picinisco 05 09 1878 and baptized 08 09 1878 in the Church of s. Lorenzo to Picinisco.
Son of Carmelo COPPOLA and Pasqua DE MARCO
Parents of Carmelo : Michele Angelo COPPOLA and Teresa CAPALDI
Parents of Pasqua : Domenico DE MARCO et Caterina DI FELICE

Thank you Michel for you research.
Marisa

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 16, 2009 11:30 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Excellent stuff! Michel is an absolute Godsend.

You probably already have your grandparent's marriage certificate - but just in case you don't the information on it is as follows -

18th July 1928 at St Ninians Roman Catholic Church, Edinburgh after banns according to the forms of the Roman Catholic Church

Philip Coppola, Grocers assistant, bachelor, aged 33 of 3 Lauriston Park, Edinburgh. Father - Vincent Coppola (I suppose Fulgenzio was a bit of a mouthful!), farmer, deceased. Mother - Maria Antonia Coppola, maiden surname Coppola.

Mabel Cooper, Lithographers ??ron, spinster, aged 28 of 26 Bothwell Street, Edinburgh. Father - George David Cooper, commercial traveller, deceased. Mother - Sarah Cooper, maiden surname McVicker.

The priest who conducted the ceremony was called Francis McFarlane, and the witnesses were John Hamilton and Julia Teresa Caddell (or possibly Liddell).

HTH

Marisa
Coppola

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 16, 2009 12:49 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Thanks Marisa, yes I did get the certificate but I was having trouble reading it, thanks for the translation.

Stuart I notice on your Coppola connection page of your website you talk about Paolo Coppola, is this the same Paolo Coppola that was lost on the Arandora Star as my Grandfather in 1940? If so it appears that he was my Grandfathers Cousin according to Michel.

Michael
Stuart Capaldi

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 16, 2009 3:50 pm    Sujet du message: Coppola in Edinburgh Répondre en citant

Hi Michael

Michel always has the best information on Picinisco families

Very interesting information as I believe that they we are all related.

However the key fact for me is that Teresa Capaldi was my gr grandfather Sante Capaldi's aunt. She was the sister of Tomasso Capaldi my gr gr grandfather she married Michel Angelo Coppola

Two of Tomasso's sister marrried Coppolas. the other one Anna Capaldi married Francesco Coppola

That means we will share common ancestors in Tomasso Antonio Capaldi b 1790 and Giuseppa Capaldi b 1795 all from San Giuseppe Picinisco

Teresa and Michele had a son Pietro Coppola b 13 Nov 1857

Pietro married Anna Maria Coppola b 18 March 1862

Anna Maria's parents were Domenico Coppola and Vincenza Franchi

If you download my family tree from my web site you will see the connections between the Capaldis and Coppolas
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Picinisco - Forum Index du Forum -> Genealogy / Genealogie / Genealogia Toutes les heures sont au format GMT
Aller ŕ la page 1, 2  Suivante
Page 1 sur 2

Sauter vers: